In order to complete the free coloring pages, you will need some colored pencils. Ensure your work is perfect each time with these best colored pencils for coloring. Everyone loves to color – maybe it’s a reminder of simpler times, and our need to be less productive and more creative.
First of all let’s get your those free printable coloring pages. Sign up below.
In this post, we will look at the colored pencils, which are best for the following.
- The Best way to print coloring pages
- Best pencils for coloring
- Coloring pencils for advanced artists
- If you want lots of colors in your palette
- If you are looking for the hidden gem of coloring pencils
- Looking for the best polychromes Pencils
- The long-lasting colored pencils
A great way to distract yourself and destress is with these free coloring pages. Simply click to download the free PDF of coloring pages below.
*This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission. It will not cost you a penny more) Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Why do we love coloring pages anyway – there are many positives to using coloring pages, and many adults have used them regularly. If it’s something you have shunned as kids projects, let me tell you that there are lots of benefits to using coloring pages for adults.
- Destress – every day we need a little me time, and coloring pages allow you to focus on something other than these distracting list of jobs.
- Quiet time – Getting a little bit of quiet time is beneficial to your mental health, so this is a great way to switch off and unwind the day
- Mediations – If you’ve ever failed at meditation or have not been able to be consistent, coloring in your favorite pics is a great way to focus your mind on one task.
- Free and cheap – These are free coloring pages, and they are part of a set of them, for a minimal fee, you can grab the full set of 20 pages.
Best way to print coloring pages
I like to print mine off PDFs as the dark lines stay a little crisp, whereas Jpegs are usually RGB colors, and most home printers are CMYK.
Use good quality print paper, not office printer paper. Your final product will have a much cleaner texture and look less school-like.
How to choose colors for coloring pages
Depending on what you are planning to color in, of course, will depend on the colors you use. Look at the picture as a whole and try to think of these as percentages of what is needed. If it’s a floral design with lots of flowers, maybe you need 60% bright flower colors or 30% green foliage.
It is possible to blend colors when you use coloring pencils – so try out a few before you begin. The last thing is to use the wrong color or a color you dislike and have to continue with it in a pattern.
Best pencils for coloring pages
If you don’t want to blow the budget but want a smooth finish – the best buy for a budget
I recommend spending in the mid-range price. These Castle Art Supplies 72 Colored Pencils Set | Quality Soft Core Colored Leads for Adult Artists, Professionals and Colorists |... pencils will achieve excellent results for both beginners and advanced artists.
It comes in a lovely tin to keep things clean and tidy. Also, I want to mention that they are sharpened with quite a hefty tip as I’m not keen on pencils sharpened with short stubby tip. specialized
- MADE TO MAKE IT EASY Essential range of 72 pencils arranged in color families; named, numbered and color-coded for unerring selection: flip up...
- SOFT YET DURABLE Latest advanced formulation by in-house artists and technicians results in cores with soft, buttery laydown that also defy...
- A JOY TO USE Intensely pigmented, rich, creamy colors for smooth coverage and effortless layering, blending and burnishing to add texture and...
More advanced artists might prefer something a little more expensive.
Prismacolor has long been the standard for coloring pencils. These Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils | Art Supplies for Drawing, Sketching, Adult Coloring | Soft Core Color Pencils, 72 Pack pencils promote a softcore, which helps with shading and shadows. They are easy to blend and have lots of lovely colors to choose from.
These are waxed based colored pencils. They are suitable for blending, which might mean they are not so great for very detailed work. You may need to sharpen these pencils more often.
- Soft, thick cores are perfect for shading and shadows
- Lightfast, richly saturated pigments
- Ultra-smooth, even color laydown
If you want lots of colors in your palette
I love these for a wide range of oily colors in the pack. For an artist like me, colors mean a lot. Now – as my husband always says, you get what you pay for. Be aware these will not be the same quality as those with less color choice and higher pigment quality.
But still, an excellent choice if you are in the mid-range budget and want to try our different coloring styles.
- Multiple Colors: 168 colored pencils comprises with 168 vivid colors, including 12 metallic colors and 8 Fluorescence colors. It's ideal for...
- Creative Design: 168 colored pencils comes with one DIY blank chart and each pencil has its own individual color number. Soft leads writes...
- Double The Fun: 168 colored pencils are pre-sharpened, so you can start drawing as soon as you open the box. They'll provide hours of drawing and...
Going for the hidden gem of coloring pencils
I love the look of these, and if I were purchasing more today, these pencils would be it. I like the reviews, the saturated pigments, oil-based style. A vast range of colors, and as I love to work in Greens – this would be perfect for me. They also have sharp points and not complaints upon sharpening.
These would be great if you were doing detailed artwork, and the reviews seem to confirm this too.
- Delivers Rich, Deep Coverage – Create pencil art in various styles using the bold colors of our professional colored pencils. Each pencil has a...
- Oil-Based Colored Pencils for Artists – Color, sketch, and doodle with ease. For easy hue identification, we have numbered and named each color...
- Ideal for Various Techniques – This pre-sharpened set of colored pencils with case is ready to use. With its wide range of colors, you can...
Best Polychromos colored pencil set
If you love detailed work and don’t mind that your pencils are a little harder, go with these Faber-Castell colored pencils. These are more expensive; they have a massive range of colors and are more for the serious artist. These are harder, dense coloring pencils.
- Polychromes Colored Pencil Set In Metal Tin 60pc
- Acid free. Imported
- Color pencils can be laid down with delicate or strong strokes to unfold their vibrant colors
The colored pencils that last 20yrs
I have some very old – probably 20yrs old Stabilo soft color pencils. They have great shades, and you can also blend them with water. I don’t think they make them any longer, and the closest I found was these called Carbothello pencils. Honestly, these pencils were sadly inherited, so I’ll keep them forever. But they still work perfectly today, and I just love the colors.
Don’t believe me?
Just look at the reviews on Amazon for confirmation of their quality.
- Charcoal-like feel
- Highly pigmented colors
- 4.4 mm diameter lead
Ok – so now you have those pencils – but want a more detailed project to work too. I found these beautiful coloring books. Let’s be honest; coloring books are a must on the kitchen table.
If you like intricate work, this book ticks all the boxes. Beautifully illustrated and perfect for picking up an put down at leisure. The author used her hiking trails in the Pacific Northwest as inspiration. The front cover looks impressive, but look inside before you purchase as the images do seem a little less detailed.
- Paige Tate & Co. (Producer) - Simon, Sarah (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 96 Pages - 11/05/2019 (Publication Date) - Paige Tate & Co (Publisher)
If its a detailed coloring book you want
Look no further than this thoughtful succulent coloring book. Don’t worry if you don’t enjoy succulents – there are many variations, including detailed wreaths and flower repeat patterns.
- Timber Pr
- Baldwin, Debra Lee (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
Best flower coloring book
I found this Botanical coloring book by Coloring book cafe. I love the details in this book. You will need to hone your blending skills but should keep you busy long into the night with these details.
- Cafe, Coloring Book (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 58 Pages - 05/15/2019 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
The most popular coloring book
I have this inspiring coloring book myself – I enjoyed this book. I didn’t finish all of the projects as I moved onto watercolor, but still a beautifully executed book with a lot placed on details and repetition. This adult coloring book is excellent if you want to dig into art or coloring pages.
- Laurence king publishing Secret gardens coloring book
- Laurence king publishing Secret gardens coloring book an inky treasure hunt of Secret gardens
- Go on a ramble through a world of Secret gardens created in beautifully detailed pen and ink illustrations
A coloring book for Coffee Lovers
A little quirky, I know. But great for the coffee table. An adult coloring book with funny quotes on coffee. Makes a great gift.
- Press, Caffeinestar (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 52 Pages - 11/26/2019 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
Frequently asked questions
What are coloring pencils made of
Unlike standard pencils with a core of graphite, colored pencils have a core of pigments, wax, or oil and binding agents. The best quality ones have a high pigment of color and don’t require you to mark the paper – the color comes off the pencil easily with little effort.
How do you blend with colored pencils
There are several ways to blend with pencils, it takes practice, and you may well develop a style of your own. Some will place the darker colors and lift off with a lighter color over the top. Others may blend using very small cross-hatching and a little finger rub if your pencils allow it.
How to look after your colored pencils
Keep the tips facing the right way in the box, and keep them clean to the touch. I live in Hong Kong, it’s very humid, so mine tends to stay soft, but you might want to heat them a little with the hairdryer before sharpening. I’ve heard this limits breakages when sharpening.
Create a pencil card
Much like you would in watercolor – create a card for each color you have. It helps limit mistakes, and you can see what you have before you begin your project – or indeed, if one has been taken by our local 4yr old. 🙁
I purchased this one on Etsy for my Watercolors, but you can create something similar at home.
Can you use colored pencils with water or solvent
I would say – if you want to blend with water, just buy watercolor pencils. These give the best of both worlds, and you can keep them as pencils or combine with water for an instant effect.
You can use a colored pencil solvent with waxed and oil-based colored pencils if you want a more blended effect.
Is there a considerable difference between colored pencils
Yes, many do not have a lot of pigment in them. They might be tough to blend if the center is hard. Without that soft center, you will find it hard to blend. The worst thing about cheaper options is they break when you try to sharpen them. Very annoying.
What does Prismacolor mean
Prismacolor has waxed based formula pencils; these are soft inside and are suitable for shading. As they are softer, you will need to sharpen them more often and will wear down faster.
But what are the best-colored pencils for detail
Oil-based pencils have a sharper edge to them. They are perfect for detailed artwork. But may not be so good for soft blending. See the Faber-Castell recommendations above.
What are wax bloom and lightfastness
Wax bloom appears with wax-based pencils and is a white sheen on the top of your drawings. If you plan to sell your completed artwork, it is worth thinking about lightfastness, where your colors may fade when exposed to light.
If this is something which concerns you – then go with oil-based colored pencils.
Most people don’t need to worry about this.
Final thoughts on Best coloring pencils – if you are interested in intricate coloring work, go with a hard pencil, which keeps the edges crisp and still blends. If you love vibrant colors, Prisma is usually more suitable. Either are good options and cost-effective for beginners and more advanced artists.
Well, I hope you have enjoyed this post on coloring pages. Please pin this to your favorite Pinterest board. It helps me to help you. 🙂
Don’t forget you can get the full series of 20 coloring pages – right here.